Let’s get real, boys and girls. We have a FAT problem on our hands. In fact, 30% of the world’s population is obese. Now, before you go and buy some magic potion from your neighborhood snake oil salesman, here is a word of advice: save yourself time and money. Instead, consider investing in one of the top fat burning supplements listed below.
Let’s set one thing straight: fat burners are not magic pills! But, they are highly effective in getting rid of excess fat in a relatively quick manner when combined with a healthy diet and exercise plan. The word thermogenic means to produce heat. A thermogenic fat burner increases your core body temperature and in turn your metabolism. These supplements contain high potency vitamins, herbs, energizers, and other fat burning ingredients to produce these effects. It is no wonder why bodybuilders have been using thermogenics for decades to burn more fat, increase their metabolic rate, and produce more energy.
The best thermogenic combines ingredients designed to decrease your appetite, increase your body’s temperature, and boost your overall metabolism.
The list below consists of our top-rated thermogenics in 2015. If you would rather skip the details, our pick for the best fat burner is Thermakor by Kor Nutrition. Continue reading below and refer to our comparison chart for a quick look at all the other thermogenics that made our list.
RANK #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 Thermakor
Cellucor Super HD
Arnold Series Iron Cuts
Nutrition Profile Serving Size 1 capsule 2 capsules 1 capsule 1 capsule 10g Servings Per Container 60 50 60 60 30 Caffeine Green Tea/Green Coffee Yohimbe Other Key Ingredients codonopsis pilosula root, evodia rutaecarpa plant, black pepper extract, quebracho blanco bark, inula racemose plant, xanthinol nNicotinate, cnidium monnieri plant, DMAE coleus extract, l-theanine, cocoa extract schizandra, l-arginine, beta alanine, guarana seed extract, capsicum, raspberry ketones, tribulus IFAS503, capsicum extract, toothed clubmoss, rhodiola, n-acetyl-l-tyrosine, amla fruit extract, dandelion extract l-carnitine tartrate, panax ginseng root powder, n-acetyl-l-tyrosine, thermodiamin, vinpocetine, inositol, chromium, vitamin D Ratings Effectiveness 9.5/10 9.5/10 9.5/10 9/10 9.5/10 Value 8/10 8.5/10 8.5/10 8.5/10 7.5/10 Overall Rating 9.5/10 9.5/10 9.5/10 9/10 8.5/10
Benefits of a Thermogenic Supplement
- Burns pure body fat: An effective thermogenic ups your body temperature and allows your body to burn off unwanted fat faster.
- Increases metabolism: A thermogenic fat burner increase your overall metabolic rate. This means you are burning more calories whether you are exercising, recovering, or even resting.
- Better endurance: The boost of energy that a thermogenic provides means that you will find that yourself less fatigued and able to workout harder and for longer.
Key Fat-Burning Ingredients To Look For
Until 2004, all of the top thermogenics included the now infamous ingredient ephedra. Since the FDA banned the use of ephedra in over-the-counter thermogenics, supplement companies have been vying to come up with competitive non-ephedra products, some with more success than others. Here are some key ingredients to look for when shopping for a thermogenic:
- Caffeine Anhydrous: caffeine often gets a bad rap, but it is an extremely effective stimulant that helps improve exercise performance, increase alertness and workout intensity, replenish depleted glycogen levels, and reduce post-workout muscle soreness.
- Green Tea: this superfood has been proven to reduce body fat, burn calories, and increase metabolism.
- Yohimbe: causes lypolysis, or fat to release from fat cells; Yohimbe is well-known for its abilities to treat male impotence, but it is also an effective thermogenic.
- L-Carnitine: an amino acid composed of lysine and methionine that is responsible for the transporting of fat that is used for energy; L-carnitine has been shown to elevate workout performance, increase anabolic hormone response, increase energy levels, and most importantly burn fat.
Other Tips When Selecting a Thermogenic Supplement:
- Read User Reviews: This is a general rule that you should follow with any supplement you purchase. We want to stress the importance of reading about other people’s experiences with any of the top fat burners. Use sites like ours and others to be informed about the benefits and drawbacks of any fat burner supplement.
- Implement a Solid Nutrition and Workout Plan: Again, a fat burner is not a magic pill. It is merely a supplement that should be used in conjunction with a healthy and regular nutritional and workout routine. You may attain short-term results with the use of a thermogenic, but any permanent change will require dedication and work. Don’t discount that.
- Understand the Potential Side-Effects: Once you take a thermogenic, your central nervous system will speed up, causing the body to burn more energy and calories to keep up with the increased demand of your body. This then leads to a loss of pure body fat. As a result, some people may find that a fat burner may cause jitteriness and shaking. If you are someone who is very sensitive to caffeine, you should probably stay away from thermogenics.
- Stick With Proven Brands: Stick to well-known brands with products that are scientifically backed. Don’t go buying fat burners you heard were good from someone else and/or are being shipped from outside of the country.
Best Thermogenic Fat Burner – Our Top 10
#1 KoR Nutrition Thermakor
Thermakor by Kor Nutrition is a rising star in the thermogenic industry and our top rated thermogenic of 2015. To see what all the hype was about, we tested out this product ourselves and needless to say, it lived up to its expectations. To give you a quick summary of our results, over a span of a month, our tester (thanks Phil!) lost approximately 9 lbs, much of it from his stomach. Like countless others have noted, Thermakor eliminated his food cravings throughout the day and provided a sustained boost in energy. All in all, we were sold on the product after trying it out and validating it with RESULTS, which is all that matters at the end of the day.
The key ingredients list contains a mouthful of all-natural fat burning catalysts that have been scientifically proven to work. Some of the notable ones include yohimbe, green tea extract, and caffeine, all of which enhance thermogenesis, the process by which your body burns fat.
There were no noticeable side effects, although our tester did notice that he was sweatier than usual while taking Thermakor, which validated that Thermakor effectively raised his core body temperature as he was rapidly burning off water weight.
Thermakor is not the cheapest thermogenic on the market, but with this product, we think the effectiveness more than justifies what you pay. If you are sold on the product as we are, you can buy a 2 or 3 month supply at a significant discount to get some great value.
To top it all off, Thermakor is offering the readers of The Supplementality a special 10% off of your order! Simply go to their site, and use coupon code “thesupplementality” for your 10% discount.
#2 MuscleTech Hydroxycut Hardcore Elite
Hydroxycut by Muscle Tech is a hardcore supplement that should be taken by people who are seasoned users of thermogenics. The reconstituted formula is composed of caffeine, yohimbe, L-Theanine, and green coffee extract.
Hydroxycut does a great job of supporting energy, boosting metabolism and burning fat. Their formula has been proven with clinical studies and we like that they give exact dosages of all their ingredients and don’t BS behind proprietary blends. This product is also a strong appetite suppressant. It can produce side effects and jitteriness, so it may be best to take your supplement with food.
#3 Ubervita W700 Thermogenic Hyper-Metabolizer
W700 by Ubervita is one of the most effective and fairly priced thermogenics available on the market. The proof is in the pudding with this supplement as it is currently the best-selling thermogenic on Amazon.
Why is W700 so popular? Well, in short because it does exactly what it claims to do: get rid of excess fat and increase your metabolism. W700 contains 468mg of proven fat-burning ingredients in each serving such as caffeine, l-arginine, schizandra, beta alanine, guarana seed exract, and green coffee. It does have a stimulant heavy profile, so keep that in mind when trying it out if you are someone who is sensitive to stims.
W700 is a little pricier than other thermogenics, but we think it more than pays for itself due to its overall effectiveness and quality.
#4 Cellucor Super HD
Super HD was voted the best fat loss supplement of 2012 by Bodybuilding.com. It has a great nutritional profile with many ingredients designed specifically to provide energy and burn fat fast. Some of the key ingredients in Super HD include caffeine, tyrosine, Vitamins B6 and B12, green tea extract, and yohimbe extract.
There is no denying Super HD’s effectiveness in terms of its ability to burn fat, suppress your appetite, and boost energy levels. And unlike other stimulant-heavy fat burners, Super HD delivers consistent, clean energy and does not leave you feeling overly jittery and cracked out.
Our only complaint with Super HD and what brings it down to #4 on our list is the price point as it is one of the more expensive fat burners on the market. But in terms of effectiveness, this is a top notch supplement.
#5 MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Cuts
You can be pretty sure that if Arnold is going to put his name to it. It’s going to be worthy. This one certainly is. It combines an innovative blend of thermogenic fat loss ingredients with a mix of other substances geared towards boosting testosterone, estrogen and cortisol levels.
The huge ingredient list includes cortisol suppressants. Dosages are shown and most of them appear to be slightly under dosed. They do appear to work together, however, to support fat loss effectively.
#6 PES Alphamine
Alphamine by PES graded near the top in all of our categories, including fat-burning capability, lean mass preservation, and appetite suppressing ability. Alphamine stands out simply because it has a well-rounded ingredient profile with really healthy doses of key ingredients we look for in a top thermogenic. Each serving includes thermogenic-inducing ingredients like caffeine, higenamine HCL, yohimbe extract, and olea europeae leaf. A superior ingredient profile equates to superior results. And in terms of effectiveness, Alphamine is as good as it gets. It delivers a noticeable, clean boost in energy without the jitteriness and crash that accompany other thermogenics.
As if you need another reason to try Alphamine, it is priced very nicely at about $0.35/serving, which places it in the cheaper end of thermogenics.
Given that you have a well-balanced nutrition plan in place, this is a proven fat burner that we wholeheartedly urge you to try out.
#7 EHPLabs OxyShred
Oxyshred by EHPLabs has stormed onto the scene and created a sensation in the fat burning market place for one simple reason – it works. There are 3 sides to fat loss supplementation – transport, burning and blocking. Most fat burning supplements will have one of the three. Sometimes you’ll see two of them. Oxyshred is the only product out there that gives you all three.
It provides an awesome mixture of herbs, vitamins and amino acids, immunity boosters and mood enhancers that allow this product to kick the butt of it’s nearest rivals. Bottom line – try this product!
#8 Body War Nutrition Body Shred
This is the first supplement release from Body War Nutrition. It’s a very impressive introduction with the potential to be a top performer in the thermogenics market. Its ingredients are heavily researched and include green coffee bean extract, green tea extract, raspberry ketones, caffeine, African mango, citrus arantium and garcinia cambogia.
The one downfall is that the label fails to list the quantities of each of these ingredients, meaning that you don’t know if you’re getting your daily requirement.
#9 BPM Labs Lipo Drive
A relatively newcomer to the marketplace, BPM have made massive inroads with this one being one of their best. A potent mix of stimulants and metabolism enhancing compounds work synergistically to burn fat while enhancing workout energy. This is a strong product.
New users of thermogenic products would be advised to begin with a small dosage and build up over a few days to the recommended levels. We also recommend taking Lipo Drive along with a pre-workout protein drink.
#10 MusclePharm Shred Matrix
Shred Matrix is a solid thermogenic supplement by a well-known company, MusclePharm. The “8 Stage Weight-Loss System” does sound a little gimmicky at first, but Shred Matrix does effectively back up it claims for the most part. The various stages in Shred Matrix are designed to provide energy, burn excess fat, suppress your appetite, enhance your mood, and provide mental focus.
Muscle Pharm’s thermogenic supplement is above average in terms of suppressing appetite and providing noticeable energy for your workouts. It does lack some in its thermogenic effects and overall potency. Note Shred Matrix contains diuretics, so make sure you drink a lot of water when using this product.
- Thermogenic supplements burn fat by increasing the body’s temperature and stimulating metabolism.
- Thermogenics increase focus and decrease fatigue.
- Some people may experience jitteriness when they first use thermogenics. Be aware of the potential side-effects.
- Consider stacking a thermogenic with an effective pre-workout or post-workout.
- Our choice for the best thermogenic fat burner supplement is Thermakor.